There are times in freelancing where I get stressed or annoyed by things outside of my control. It doesn’t really make sense to stress over something you can’t control but it is what it is, it’s how we deal with it that matters.
I think you may know the feeling, some part of a project is held up and it’s not your fault, you just want to do your part, right? Cause then you can move on to the next thing or phase. Or maybe you’re waiting on a check that’s been “in the mail” about 100 times now.
It’s rare to not have been in those positions, but when it’s out of your control is it worth stressing over? No. There’s nothing you can do about it and you can’t fix it right now even if you wanted to.
Ultimately it’s just better to refocus yourself and put your efforts elsewhere.
Consider using any downtime to better yourself and your business:
- Redesign your site
- Rewrite some content
- Write more blog posts
- Evaluate your current marketing efforts – are they working? how can they be better?
- Reach out to others – network with both industry peers and potential clients
- Reach out to old clients – how are they doing, do they need anything or can you help with something?
- Take some time off, even if just a short few days trip somewhere – ROAD TRIP!
- Catch up on any lingering to-do items